Monday, November 14, 2016

Week 6 EOC: Weed in the Work Place

As a personal opinion I believe that weed in the work place is actually a bad idea. While I whole heartedly believe that there are those who work better or can handle themselves in a professional manor. The fact of the matter is I have had to many experiences with people who don't know the boundaries of work place and getting to high.“Overall, however, there exists little evidence that cannabis use is associated with lower productivity and/or elevated health costs among full-time employees.” (NORML.org). Though this evidence counters my point, I think it speaks to the main reason I am against it, it is not the substance that I have an issue with rather the user.

That being said I think in certain industries it is acceptable and ultimately rest on the owners to decide what should be done. Though one of the biggest things to make that desicion beside industry specific oversight organizations will be insurance companies. The risk of having someone liable for the company under the influence will give any company pause, but I think the turn in the legal industry might see that curve a bit. "Options are increasing though Weiss said. “We’re seeing more of the big name players enter the market now that they’ve seen others dip their toe in successfully,” he said." (Forbes.com). I believe once these companies start having serious investments inside this industry, it will be the final tipping point for over all reform.

Whether this reform will justify allowing people to use weed in the work place only time will tell. With testing at the place it is today and the laws being so open, I don't believe there will be a definitive route for dealing with this issue. "Companies are trying to decide between two extremes: policies on positive test results to keep users out of their workforces, or loosening them to avoid driving away qualified employees."(theguardian.com).  I don't believe there is an easy answer, and I think any one should be warry of suporting either side to the extreme. That being said my generation hasn't put there foot down for too many things, but this seems to be one that we aren't giving up on.  

"NORML.org - Working to Reform Marijuana Laws." NORML's Model Workplace Policy for Cannabis -. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 Nov. 2016.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/julieweed/2015/07/05/insurance-companies-start-noticing-the-legal-cannabis-industry/#530cc87c5810
https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2015/apr/19/marijuana-workplace-drug-testing-employers-employees-medical-recreational

No comments:

Post a Comment